Are your families/parents/carers aware of Healthy Start?
If you’re pregnant or have a child under four, the Healthy Start scheme can help you buy basic foods like milk or fruit.
There is a set of eligibility criteria in order to qualify for this scheme which is outlined below.
If families are eligible then they will receive vouchers worth £3.10 each to spend on:
- fresh fruit and vegetables
- plain frozen fruit and vegetables
- infant formula.
You will get one voucher a week if:
- you are pregnant
- you have a child aged between one and four.
You will get two vouchers a week if you have a child under one.
To qualify for the Healthy Start scheme you must be:
- at least 10 weeks pregnant
- have at least one child under the age of four.
In addition to this, you must be receiving any of the following:
- Child Tax Credit (but only if your family’s annual income is £16,190 or less)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit (but only if your family earns £408 or less per month from employment)
- Working Tax Credit (but only if the family is receiving the 4 week ‘run-on’ payment).
You are also eligible for the scheme if you are pregnant and under 18 years old, even if you do not receive any benefits.
There is an online form that needs completing and signing by a midwife, health visitor or registered doctor or nurse.
Further information in regards to the scheme including an eligibility checker and the application form can be found here.
Please make your families aware of this scheme if you think they may be eligible